Wardrobe Basics 101
If your goal is to build your wardrobe, and build it correctly, and you're not sure where to begin, then you need Wardrobe Basics 101.
Even if you have an idea of how to proceed, it's always a good idea to brush up on the basics.
What is the purpose of a well thought out wardrobe?
Each person probably has their own ideas as to why they would like to build a basic wardrobe, but here are some general thoughts:
- As we have said before, your wardrobe is a statement of who you are. If you haven't taken any thought about what you wear, what does that say about you?
- By making a plan, you now have a direction for future purchases of new clothing that fits your lifestyle. A basic wardrobe is your foundation.
- Having a good basic wardrobe takes the worry out of dressing appropriately for different occasions.
Before you can begin, you need to determine what your lifestyle is, because that will determine what type of clothing you should put emphasis on.
If you are a professional man, your focus would be on business and formal clothing, and if you have a more casual career you would focus less on suits and ties and possibly think more about sport shirts and casual slacks.
Whatever type of lifestyle you lead, there is usually a need for a variety of different types of clothing. With your specific clothing needs as your main focus, don't forget to have a well rounded wardrobe.
Wardrobe building basics:
- The first thing you need to remember is that building a wardrobe takes time. Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither will your wardrobe be. Take your time, make good selections and enjoy the process.
- Try not to buy on impulse. This only leads to unnecessary purchases and unused items in your closet. It also takes you away from your plan. Buy what you need.
- Avoid cheap clothing. Buy quality clothing. It will look better, fit better, be made better and last longer.
- Be sure your clothing fits properly. Don't buy something that is too small, thinking you will be losing weight in a month. Clothing that is too large looks sloppy, unprofessional and unconcerned.
- Buy clothing that is interchangeable. Nothing increases the size and versatility of a wardrobe than clothing that can be worn in a variety of combinations. Shirts, sport coats and pants, with or without ties that can be worn in various combinations increase your wardrobe from 4 outfits to 10 or more.
- Know your body type and what styles, colors and patterns are complimentary.
If you would like your wardrobe to be as unique as you are, contact me for a free consultation.
I have been a professional clothier since 1989. I will come to your location, bring fabric samples and ideas. I will take accurate measurements to insure a proper fit. Upon completion, your clothing will be delivered to you.
Personable Expert with High Integrity
I have known Bill Hoffer for 13 years. He has provided me with superior service and an exceptional wardrobe for more than a decade. In addition to being incredibly personable and service oriented, his clothing is top flight. I am constantly complimented when wearing the apparel acquired from Bill. Bill is a friend, as well as, a sharp dresser and he can make you one, too!
**originally published 5/31/11