How Can You Leave a Good First Impression?
People are always talking about leaving a good first impression. And we have all heard the saying "You never get a second chance to make a good first impression."
That being said, what is a first impression?
An impression is...
"An idea, feeling, or opinion about something or someone, especially one formed without conscious thought or on the basis of little evidence".
Therefore a first impression would be the idea, feeling or opinion from a first encounter. These impressions can be long lasting and are often hard to change. It has been said that we only have about 17 seconds when meeting a stranger before they form their opinion of us.
Why is the first impression so important?
- A bad first impression is hard to undo.
- They are important for building long lasting relationships, whether of a personal or business nature.
- They set the tone for future encounters.
- The impressions that others have about you reflect on those you associate with as well the business you are associated with.
Prepare to leave a great and lasting first impression.
- Be on time - Start your new relationship by being punctual.
- There is nothing more frustrating than waiting for someone who is late for an appointment.
- If you're smart, you will plan for possible delays by planning to arrive a few minutes early
- Show confidence - There is a fine line between confidence and arrogance, so don't over do it.
- Make eye contact
- Don't fidget
- Present a firm handshake
- Don't focus on "you" - Encourage your new association to talk about themselves.
- Use good listening skills - Pay attention to and be interested in what they are talking about. Avoid interrupting when someone else is speaking.
- Be yourself - Be comfortable, relaxed and genuine.
- Communicate well - Speak clearly and use proper grammar.
- Dress appropriately - If a picture is worth a thousand words, be sure that the picture you presentsays all the right things about you.
- Understand what the attire for the meeting or event is.
- Make sure your clothing is clean and well pressed.
- Make sure your clothing fits well.
As a men's custom clothier, I have helped my clients for the last 22 years dress to leave good and lasting first impressions. I enjoy knowing and working with men who agree that first impressions are important, and they are aware of their appearance in different settings.
I will help you build or enhance your wardrobe. I will come to your location on your schedule, and together we will choose the right fabric and style for you. This is shopping at its most convenient and efficient.
Give me a call for a free consultation.
**originally published 7/12/11