What Do You Wear and When?
This is a question asked by many men when invited to an event.
There are times when the invitation clearly states what the dress attire or dress code will be. But even then there may be questions, an explanation would be helpful.
Different types of formal attire for different types of formal occasions:
- Business Formal: Business formal clothing would appropriately be worn for work, at corporate meetings, an evening business event, a political meeting or an award ceremony. This type of clothing includes:
- Tailored suit
- Light colored shirt, french cuffs are a great addition
- Silk tie - preferable a reserved solid color or a subtle pattern
- Leather shoes with laces (no slip-ons)
- Silk pocket squares that compliment the tie
- Semi-Formal: If this event is held during the daytime, the same type of clothing for Business Formal would be worn. If it's in the evening, such as a wedding, bolder colors are appropriate.
- Cocktail Attire: The events that you would wear this type of clothing to would be evening weddings, charity benefits, or cocktail parties. This type of clothing includes:
- Dark solid colored suit - black, navy or gray
- Plain white or blue shirt
- Plain or subtle patterned tie
- Black shoes
- Black Tie: Black Tie events are usually evening events such as formal weddings, evenings at the opera, charity dinners, or formal dinner parties. This type of clothing is:
- Think James Bond!
- Black or white tie
- White formal shirt with the appropriate accessories
- Formal black patent leather shoes
- If your invitation says black tie optional, that means that your may choose to wear a black suit rather than a tuxedo.
If the event you are invited to is related to your job, a good rule of thumb would be to dress for the job you'd like, rather than the job you have.
If you are invited to attend these types of events on a regular basis, having your suit tailored especially for you is a wise choice.
Not only will you look and feel great, but the impression you leave with others will be even greater.
I have over two decades experience in the fashion industry, and I enjoy creating tailored, fashionable, and sophisticated looks for my clients. Let me help you create the perfect formal image for you.
Bill is absolutely amazing.His attention to detail and his ability to make you look like a million dollars is a true gift.I hired Bill to dress me for my Movie Premiere and I have never felt more confident in the way I look. For years now I always turn to Bill Hoffer when I want something done right.
**originally published 5/16/11