How Should Men's Clothing Fit?
We have all seen them walking down the street, men who look great in their clothing. Whether they are wearing casual, business or formal, nothing leaves a better impression than a man who wears clothes that fit correctly.
Quality of the clothing is important, but the fit is critical.
There is a song that was made popular by a contestant on American Idol that says: "Pants on the ground, pants on the ground, looking like a fool with your pants on the ground."
Obviously the song is referring to the young men of today who wear their pants way too low. But reference can be implied about anyone whose clothing doesn't fit the way it should.
It's been mentioned before, but it needs to be mentioned again. You only get one chance for a good first impression. Ill fitting clothes will not help you achieve that.
To fit correctly, your clothing doesn't have to be uncomfortable. In fact, just the opposite is true, if they fit right, they will feel right.
Tips for clothes that fit:
- Pants should be worn near the navel at the natural waistline.
- Without having too much fabric, and being tapered from top to bottom, they should fall comfortably from the waist to the feet.
- The hem of the pant should touch the top of the shoes, having a single, slight break in the front, and in the back, just touching the top of the sole. They should never touch the ground.
- Taller men wear pants with pleats well, whereas shorter men usually look better in pants with flat fronts.
- Jackets need to fit correctly in the chest and shoulders.
- When your arms are hanging at your side, the cuff of your shirt should be exposed about 1/2".
- When you extend your arm, the sleeve should touch the knuckle of your thumb.
- The length of your jacket should cover your "backside".
- Dress shirts should not fit too loose.
- The sleeves should lay about one inch below the wrist bone, which will allow for the 1/2" that is to be seen below your jacket sleeve.
- The collar should not be too loose or too tight. For appearance and comfort, you should be able to insert two fingers inside.
Key to the perfect fit
Every man has his own body type, he may be short with a long torso, tall with wide shoulders or average height with long arms.
Buying clothing off the rack at a department store usually doesn't accommodate for the uniqueness of each person. So your chances of finding clothes that fit you just right are probably slim.
The perfect fit can only be achieved by getting accurate measurements taken and having your clothing custom made from them.
That's where I come in.
I am a Men's Fashion Consultant and Custom Clothier. I have been helping men get the perfect fit for over 22 years.
I believe your "shopping" experience should be one of convenience and on your time schedule. That's why I will come to your location, bring fabric samples, take accurate measurements and help you choose clothing styles that will compliment your body type.
When your clothing is ready, I will deliver them to you and you will be one of those men walking down the street who look great in their clothes.
Give me a call for a free consultation. 206-571-6687
I have purchased four suits from Bill and they all look fantastic. I am a tall man and it is not easy for me to buy "off the rack" clothing, especially suits. Bill comes right to your office to go over the various styles and fabrics available, and also takes your measurements so you get the perfect fit. I intend to go to Bill again because you can't beat the service, quality and price that he offers. He does a great job.